Saturday, June 9, 2012

First Person Shooters

I've thought a good while on what my first entry should be on this new Backfist and it took me some time.  I've figured it out now.  I love video games.  I find them to be a good hobby, way to pass some dead time, and away to hang out with some friends.  However this isn't me celebrating all that is great with video games.  There are a lot of fantastic things to go on about with games.  The playing with friends, the graphics, gameplay, story, etc.  There is a terrible downside to the video game market.



What is the dark side of video games?  There is a certain genre that everyone seems to love or hate.  The first person shooter gets either love or hate in today's world.  There's no middle ground of someone saying oh its alright.  I have a friend who hates the genre.  Detests everything they stand for because he views them as a horrible game and a cash cow.  On the flip side I know people and that's all they play.  It seems like a ton of people on YouTube are guys who make their videos based on Call of Duty as CoD is the biggest franchise of the genre.

I've played many Call of Duty games in my day.  Before early 2011 though I never had Xbox Live.  I was only able to do the campaign modes and thought they were a fun game.  Little did I know that the multiplayer for these games were the main selling point.  So I picked up Black Ops when I finally got Xbox Live.  This is when I realized why the franchises that have online MP get so much flak for being a giant pain in the ass.

There are people who spend their entire waking lives on these online modes.  They never touch the single player because they paid their sixty bucks to sit down in a corner and wait for someone to walk past them.  How is this money well spent?  This doesn't make you a great gamer, it makes you a friggin' retard for wasting money like that.  So you get a new guy like me who plays the game.  Never played an online shooter before.  I thought people would play like they would during a campaign.

How wrong I was.  The people that play this game online are out there for one thing only.  To make their penis feel large.  The online modes for first person shooters are nothing but an ego stroking or ego killing experience.  You have people who have a large kill/death ratio because they do nothing but stay in the same spot with a shotgun.  In their eyes that makes them a good player.  They're so awesome because they do nothing but camp.

On the flip side you have people that are so hardcore about this game, as I said before, they just do nothing but play it.  No other game in their life matters as much as a Call of Duty.  Is being a top prestige on CoD a good skill to put down on your resume?  I know if someone who is reading this who faps off to CoD like its a sexy piece of tail will be like.

"Well maybe you just suck at the game."

Its not about how good or not I am.  In a lobby where people aren't acting like cheap pricks I do pretty well most of the time these days.  The biggest offenders for all the crap talking are most adults.  No.  In my time of playing these games most of the people who talk crap are little kids.  The age range from about 8 to 18 are the worst of the worst on Xbox Live.  These kids boost, as do many others.  These kids will say how much you suck or how you're hacking the first time you kill them.

This franchise is the worst thing to happen to kids since MTV starting showing horrible reality programs.  Instead of these kids going to do other things they're sitting on their asses playing a game that's not meant for them.  Do we just throw a blind eye to the rating system?  Its disgusting to think that these kids are able to get their hands on this stuff so easily.

I've heard so many stupid things come out of their mouths when I play this game if I'm not in a party, which I usually am.  From retarded insults to cheap play, kids are the worst.

There are some good things about first person shooters though.  Mostly the RPG style types like Fallout 3 or Borderlands.  Borderlands has online but its co-op or an arena style where you really can't be a cheap ass unless you're like my buddy Adam who picked up a modded shield and cheeses everyone in those duels or arena battles.  Those are the fun franchises of first person games.

So while there are numerous terrible things about the first person shooter genre, there are some good things like the campaign modes or RPG style first person shooters.  This is what needs to be celebrated more then the multiplayer.

What needs to change?  Maybe I'll cover this next time.  So until then duck your head because you never know when the backfist is coming.

2 comments:

- Matt Black AKA RAWFShowtime said...

Go away Call of Duty...Just...go away!

Nicholas Gray said...

I feel like you just described every first person shooter since Quake...