Thursday, July 12, 2012

Craig's Half-Assed Draft Team Thing

So with all the debate about the Dream Team vs. this year's USA Men's Basketball team, it got me to thinking.  While both teams have their solid points about who is better, what if we combined two eras of basketball.  The Dream Team era and this current era.  So I'm talking about 1984-1992 combined with 2008-2012.  I know the latter only has a four year difference but from everything I've read the 1988 team was royally fisted by a biased coach who wanted his college players on the team.

Though everyone should thank him for messing up and allowing the the world to see the Dream Team.  However I'm not just going to handicap myself with just players in the Dream Team and this year's Men's team.  No, every player in those years are available for me to create a perfect balance of old and new.  I know it sounds like a horrible concept but I'm bored.  Go piss off.




Now I'm not going to go the usual oh my god there is no way I'm not getting Jordan first.  Truth be told, I don't want Jordan.  Lets say I got like the fourth pick in a first round.  First pick is Jordan.  Second would probably be Bird.  Third would be Magic.  Any of those three are the first three off the board if you're a sane person.  If you took Brian Cardinal with your first pick I'm personally finding you and shoving my foot up your ass.  Also, they have to be considered an American born player for this team.  Sorry to all the great foreign players out there.

So lets say those three are off the board.  Can't get them, never will.  Who would I go with for my first pick?   To me is clear cut this comes down to either LeBron James or Kevin Durant.  No offense to the older generation but outside of the first three men selected, none of them were able to lead their team to a championship.  While Durant hasn't done the same himself he is still a very young player with a ceiling he hasn't hit yet.  With LeBron I'm not the world's biggest fan of him but there is no denying how talented he is.  He carved up the Thunder with relative ease in the finals this year.  Former MVP.  Guy who's mom is most likely to get banged by a teammate too.

Basically it comes down to win now or win later.  Seeing as how this would be a one time game and whoever took this spot would be guarded by Scottie Pippen (handicapping myself from him too) would guard them.  I think he'd be able to shut down Durant.  No way he does with LeBron.

First Pick: LeBron James

Alright for my second pick lets half of each team is gone now.  I still have the leftovers from those two squads as well as everyone else in the NBA during that time period.  I have my wing settled.  I could go for a big or a guard.  Right now the big I would want the most is Tim Duncan.  I know he's listed as a power forward but the guy could easily move to center so I'll count him as such.  In terms of a point guard John Stockon is still there.  But I'm going to make a shocking move.  I'm not taking either man.  Instead I'm taking the man who was snubbed because he pissed Jordan off way too many times.

Second Pick: Isiah Thomas

Now I really want a big man in the middle to man the team.  Let's assume that David Robinson is gone.  Dwight Howard is gone.  Ewing might be gone, he might not be.  I don't want Andrew Bynum due to the fact I'm not sure he'll ever get it.  Much like Dwight there is plenty of red tape surround them.  Dwight doesn't really care to be an offensive force most of the time.  Dude should have a vast array of post moves but he doesn't. Bynum can still be considered immature at this point in his career.  Ah to hell with it, I'm taking Ewing.  Though he'd probably be off in the first round.  Really wish I could organize this into a real thing.

Third Pick: Patrick Ewing

So now I have a forward, point guard, and a center.  I could double dip at the small forward spot or I could go with the need.  Despite being on the National Team, I don't think anyone would give Harden a second thought yet.  He's not exactly a big name in the league yet.  He has yet to put it all together.  But his ceiling could be great or he's reached it already.  I'm taking a risk that its the former.

Forth Pick: James Harden

Power forward spot is the only opening I have left.  Tim Duncan is gone for sure now.  Gasol is gone by this point.  Malone is gone.  Chuck is gone.  All of the sexy names for that position are gone right now.  Maybe Josh Smith slides this far but I'm not a huge fan of his game.  Nor am I a fan of Chris Bosh's game.  I could go the "Holy shit you're fucking insane" move with Dennis Rodman.  Hear me out.  Ewing isn't a great rebounder.  'Bron will fly in for some but other than that who would pound the boards, play defense, care little if he gets points.  So yeah, I'm taking Rodman.  Just know that he's being kept in a cage when he's not in the game so he doesn't get into problems.

Fifth Pick: Dennis Rodman

Well there's my starting five. Thomas, Harden, James, Rodman, and Ewing.  I believe all five of those men could mesh well in big games.  Now to work on the bench.  Next person I'm taking is probably going to be a guy who would come in and play big minutes if Harden's having an off game.  Just look at the end of the NBA Finals for that.  So Ray Allen, you're my sixth man.  No better shoot in the game right now and maybe ever.  I mean who would draft Ray Allen as is right now in the first five rounds.

Sixth Pick: Ray Allen

Now I want someone to spell Ewing.  To me this is a simple pick.  I want a guy who will go in there and bang around for a while.  Don't need someone who has flash.  Need some muscle in there.  I could go with Kendrick Perkins or I could go with Robert Parish.  I think I'll go with Chief. My god I'm listing former Celtics right now.

Seventh Pick: Robert Parish

Now to get the back up for LeBron or the back up for Isiah.  LeBron can play a super human amount of time so I'm aiming for Isiah's backup.  Stockon is long off the board now.  So I'm going with a guy who had a horrible string of injuries but was a pretty solid players otherwise.  I loved playing as him in NBA Jam, Kevin Johnson.

Eighth Pick: Kevin Johnson

Okay we'll look for the guy who will come in for LeBron every once in a while.  Doesn't need to be too flashy so I'm going with someone current.  Looking at you Grant Hill.  Sure he's not no where like he was a long time ago but he's proven to be a solid player the past few years.

Ninth Pick: Grant Hill

Now a power forward to give Rodman help when he ends up going bat shit crazy and runs off the floor stark ass naked.  Lets keep it simple in case this team wants to run some small ball with like 'Bron at the four while Parish/Ewing play the five.  I think this should be a stretch four just to spread it out a bit.

Tenth Pick: Ryan Anderson

Last two picks really aren't a huge deal.  Just two depth players to come in for a few minutes.  Just two random names here.  Maybe two rookies from this year just so they can get some experience from playing with these guys.  No lottery picks obviously.

Eleventh Pick: Royce White

Last Pick: Jared Sullinger

So there you have it.  If I had to draft a team in somewhat of a style like this and these players were available  that is how I could go.  I'm sure people are going to scratch their heads, call me a moron, or whatever.  I had fun trying to figure this out.  There is really no huge jackass on this team unless Isiah mouths off about something.  I think these twelve players would mesh well to make a very good team.

No comments: