Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Friday and Saturday Thoughts

Wow its been a couple of weeks since my last entry but I've been busy during that time period.  My best friend, who now lives in Texas, came up for a week and a half or so.  Spent a lot of time doing fun stuff with him.  Anyways everything led to the last weekend Friday July 27th.  It was a triple shot weekend of professional wrestling around the state of Iowa.  Leading up to it there was debate on how we'd work this out to get to the places and what have you.  Obviously everything was done otherwise I wouldn't be typing about this right now.  Whole reason we went on this trip was to see Team Ambition leading up to Sunday when our friend was penciled to go against Davey Richards.


Anyways we hit the road about 2 PM on Friday ready to follow one of our friends down to the first show.  He wasn't working that night but wanted to catch the show anyways because we have another friend who works for that promotion, 3XWrestling.  The three Team Ambition matches were good.  Tony Kozina against Jaysin Strife was good for what it was.  Show kept doing looking good.  Saw our good buddy, Jon West, retain the Tag Belts in a pretty fun match.  Then we were blown away, simply blown away by the Mark Sterling against Kyle O'Reilly match.  People sitting behind us were crapping on the show for the first half. After that they were even chanting "This Is Awesome" from what we had all just seen.

Main event time rolls around.  Davey against Ben Sailor.  Sailor is a pretty damn fine worker from what I've managed to see from him.  It looked like a typical Davey match to be honest.  I wasn't blown away but my lips aren't attached to his dick like it is for so many professional wrestling fans.  It was a overall good show for 3XWrestling when I look back at it.  Would've been more vocal but I was feeling tired through the entire show.  Plus I'm not the type of fan who goes batshit insane during the show.  I more sit on my hands the entire time and just everything I see.  One of my friends asked me if I was bored because I just don't make a lot of noise.

So after 3X we're feeling hungry before heading over to the next venue which is a good two hours away from the first show.  We were close to Zombie Burger which is a fantastic place to eat if you're ever in Des Moines.  Really great.  Anyways I get this grand idea that we should walk because it was only a few blocks away.  Bravo to me.  I was gassed before we got half way there.  Really need to work on the ole cardio.  Anyways really stupid idea of mine.  Still we got there and the food was great.  Tons of burger types.  Now we're on the way to the next place.

So I go with Tyler, the friend from Texas, as Troy, the one we followed around all weekend, had his girlfriend with him.  We tail them to the next place we gotta be at.  My good god.  We get to Council Bluffs, the Iowa home of Magnum Pro, and we're thinking we should be done soon.  Troy's girlfriend lives somewhere outside of Omaha so it shouldn't be too bad.  Little did we know we were going out to Bumfuck, Nebraska.  Rather there, though, then one of the shady motels at the Bluffs.  Heard some bad stories about it.

Still Troy's girlfriend's parents didn't know Tyler of myself at all and they took us in.  They fed us, didn't charge us for staying.  Its just super awesome.  I love people like that.  I like to think of myself as someone who would do that to someone too.  Just really super people.  If I find out their address I will send them a thank you card for their hospitality.  After what happened on Sunday (I'm getting there) it makes them seem so much more awesome.  Thank you so much if you ever happen to see this.

Saturday afternoon we get to the Eagles Club where Magnum holds their shows in Iowa.  They had a great card announced.  I attended a Magnum show last year and had a blast.  I mean they're cool enough to let someone like myself who isn't involved in the business to come in with the wrestler he was traveling with and just sit around while waiting for the show to begin well before the doors open.  Anyways Davey is holding a camp before the show.  Had about ten guys there ready to learn from him while other things are getting set up.

I listened and watched the camp.  I know I'm never going to get into the ring but I enjoy listening to stuff like that.  Its not like Davey doesn't know how to wrestle.  Its his words that still ring a bit in my head.  The man stands there and runs down a guy like CM Punk.  Yeah, Davey Richards a man who will never sniff the 'E was running down CM Punk.  You jealous of his success much?  I mean when you say someone only got where they are because of charisma is a little far fetched.  Then he shoots on Kevin Steen.  That one surprised the shit out of me.  I'm sure someone's said Davey's comments on Twitter somewhere.  Anyways he contradicted himself a couple of times but whatever.  Not a huge deal I just thought it was funny.

Show time comes around and its fun.  Magnum has a lot of good workers there.  Things became weird when it was time for the Ryan Kidd against Tony Kozina match.  News about that "match" is all over the net at this point.  Kidd has it on his YouTube page I believe.  Kozina's basically admitted to shooting on him.  Whatever.  If you need to make yourself feel like a bad ass by beating up a 17 year old kid because of what he puts on Twitter, you need to adjust your life dude.  I'll admit I haven't done the most with mine yet but the line has to get drawn somewhere.  For anyone supporting what Kozina did as protecting the business, what would you do if that was your student or your son in that situation?  You'd be singing a different tune and don't you fucking lie about it either.  So for your shouts of respect, you don't show any for shooting on a teenage kid.  You know what, I'll go ahead and post the match.  Leave your comments about it in the comment section below but we're no where near done right now.


I think the best part of this is that a man like Adam Pearce was disappointed in Kozina for doing this.  Pearce is a huge indy name.  Indy legend if you will.  I think that speaks volumes about this match.  My hat off to Ryan Kidd too.  The next night he came out ready to do what he wants to do.

Davey against Jaysin Strife comes up next and it was a good little match.  They were building to a rematch but I think it is very say to assume that won't happen now.  What really got to me was how different Kyle O'Reilly was.  The night before at 3XWrestling he was super intense and there was a big crowd.  Magnum?  Small crowd and he does this weird thing where he comes out drinking a mocha and having a towel around his waist.  Its like he wanted to go out there and just have some fun while wrestling Gunner Franks.  Never saw a Gunner Franks match before Saturday but he impressed me.  Plus he comes out to Renegade by Styx so it just makes him more awesome.  Its not like it was a bad match.  Ton of fun despite O'Reilly's really weird gimmick.  He kept saying respect this, respect that.  Example: "Respect the hump."  Whatever.

So Magnum's done.  They had a really good show.  Troy had hand prints on his back from getting smacked so damn hard from big Shawn.  Shawn Nautilus is a giant of a man.  When someone thinks big man in the indy scene these days its like 6'4'' 250.  Nah, he's above that.  Their match had the best verbal exchange of the weekend.

Derek Cornell: I hate chops!

Shawn Nautilus: I hate Heroes!

Just really good stuff.  Plus there was a super fun six man tag involving Team Lariat.  I don't know what it is about Team Lariat but I love them.  I marked hard when they began to follow me on Twitter.  After Magnum  a bunch of them wanted to eat so Tyler and I got to go with to a Village Inn.  Pancakes and bacon are great at midnight.  Heard some really fun stories.  We get out and its time to go to bed.  The biggest day of them all is tomorrow for myself, Tyler, and Troy.  We were there to support him this weekend as I mentioned before.  Not for Davey, not for Tony, not for Kyle but for our friend.

In order to not have this be too long, Sunday is getting its own post which I'm working on yet.  So to be continued.

No comments: